2 tbsp butter
1/4 c flour
1- 1 1/2 c milk
2 - 2 1/2c shredded Monteray Jack
1 small can chopped green chilis
2 c shredded chicken
1/4 c each chopped tomatoes, sliced green onions and sliced black olives
- Start with a basic white sauce...melt the butter in a pan, add as much
flour as the butter will absorb to make a paste, then add milk.
- Cook over medium-low, using a wire wisk to eliminate clumps. Allow
it to come to a slow boil, watching closely to avoid scorching.
- Add more flour if it doesn't thicken or more milk if it seems too thick.
- When the sauce thickens to a gravy-like consistency, add the cheese.
Reduce heat to low and stir until cheese is melted.
- Add the green chilis.
- Stir half of the sauce into the shredded chicken.
- Assemble the enchiladas by rolling this filling into tortillas and
place them seam down in a 9 X 13 baking pan. Pour the other half of the
sauce on top. Bake, covered, until hot, around 350 or 375 degrees.
- Top with sliced black olives, diced tomatoes, and sliced green onions.